To date there have been very few snippets of information as to what will await fans in September, but one thing is certain – I would like to see a continuation of the quality that season seven brought us. The character driven episodes are clear winners as they allow for development and emotional engagement. When the episodes are written well and with a great guest cast, original characters can also be just as rewarding. The references to older episodes and cases, and the continuation of old, previously unfinished storylines are also a pleasure and very much heightened the enjoyment of season seven. The balance between the personal and professional lives is currently at about the right level. Too much of ‘Densi’ at home turns the show into a soap and so far the show has resisted this. Instead of seeing the partners investigate in pairs, team based episodes allow a different level of interactions, as do partner swaps. Changing the dynamics allows the show to remain fresh, maintains audience interest and hopefully allows new viewers to become fans.
It would be unfair for me to wish that season 8 revolves around Callen (his father, exploring his CIA history, his psychological state of mind, Janvier, Anna Kolcheck etc.), so below is a sensible wish list of what I would like to see next season. Some will most likely happen, the rest will live in my imagination!
- Some more distrust between Hetty and Callen, building on from season seven.
- A ‘Deeks M’ episode, delving into the dark and violent side of our favourite LAPD liaison officer. Whether that be follow through on the Internal Affairs investigations or something that harks back to his own childhood. Answers as to where his mother suddenly materialised would be good, as in season 2 a big deal was made about no one knowing his next of kin – not even Deeks.
- More episodes with Deeks and Callen partnered up. They are very different sides of the same coin, sharing an abusive upbringing.
- Or maybe Deeks and Sam will pair up, if Kensi disappears from the team (as Daniela Ruah is pregnant).
- The return of Anna Kolcheck, maybe as a partner to Callen? Anna’s interactions and influence over Callen would be very interesting to see. (In the romantic stakes, he seems to let women control him.) I think they could get each other in to a lot of mischief. This also means more Arkady, which is always a positive.
- A peek into the shared history of Hetty and Granger; why did she once try to kill him?
- Janvier – it’s about time he either escaped or exerted some power and attempted to destroy the people Callen cares about. The Christmas card Callen received in S7 was a reminder that his nemesis is still alive but contained, and Callen clearly perceives there is no threat at all.
- After Sam’s torture in season 4/5, Nate realised that Sam may not be able to take much more. If Janvier returned, placing Sam in danger would be an ideal opportunity to explore the psychological risks of repeated exposure to torture.
- Callen and his father. He may now have met his father but the man deserves answers as to how and why he was sent to the States and left to fester in the welfare state.
- With Daniela Ruah being pregnant when she returns to filming, it is difficult to guess potential storylines. Will she be sent on assignment again? Will she be injured off the show for a few months? The only thing that is clear, is that new showrunner Scott Gemmill has stated that Kensi will not be pregnant. There may be an official proposal though…
- Granger & his daughter; how will this change him as a man?
- The Mole. Who is the mole? This has been a very frustrating slow-burner of a plotline for a while now. I just hope it won’t be some random character as it was in season six. But then again it would have to be very convincing if one of the permanent cast is the traitor, or at least set up to be one…
What is on your wish list for season 8? Post your thoughts below – it will be interesting to review them this time next year..